LED Upgrading Process
As part of our ongoing efforts to improve our systems and offer more value to you, we're upgrading your existing outdoor area light(s) to energy-efficient, LED technology.
- Request for repairs to existing lighting – Beginning in the fall of 2017, all requests for repair will result in an upgrade to energy-efficient, LED technology. If the repair and upgrade is made to leased lighting, a door hanger explaining the benefits of LEDs will be left behind.
- New installations – We have been using LEDs in new installations since 2015. Beginning in the fall of 2017, all new lighting installations will include LED technology.
- Scheduled upgrade – Beginning in early 2019, both Tampa Electric and certified lighting contractor crews will begin upgrading all existing non-LED lights to energy-efficient LEDs that include smart photocell technology. The entire upgrade will take place over the next five years. Lighting crews will utilize special mapping technology as they work across Tampa Electric's West Central Florida service area. Customers with leased lighting will receive a letter in the mail and/or a door hanger approximately 30 days prior to their upgrade.
Most of our customers who currently lease one or more lights will see no rate increase as a result of receiving an LED. Those who will see a small increase will receive a letter making note of the increase prior to the upgrade.
This map shows where Tampa Electric and certified lighting contractor crews will be upgrading existing lights to energy-efficient LEDs. If you have additional questions, please email your name as it appears on your electric statement, account number and phone number to firstname.lastname@example.org . You may also call Tampa Electric:
- Residential customers: toll-free 888-223-0800 on weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Business customers: toll-free 866-832-6249 on weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.