This New Year's, make a resolution to save energy and money
Tampa Electric offers programs and tips designed to help customers save energy
TAMPA, December 31, 2012
As 2012 draws to a close, make a New Year's resolution to save energy and money in 2013. Tampa Electric can help.
To get 2013 off to a good, energy-efficient start, resolve to:
- Set your thermostat at 68 degrees or lower when the weather is chilly. Every degree above 68 can add 3 percent to 5 percent to the heating portion of your power bill.
- Only use ceiling fans in occupied rooms. Fans cool people, not furniture.
- Replace your standard incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) and save about $30 in electricity costs over each bulb's lifetime. CFLs use 75 percent less energy.
- Turn off computers and monitors when not in use. Unplug electronics, gadgets and chargers.
- Lower the temperature setting on your water heater to 120 degrees.
- Clean or replace air conditioning filters each month. This helps the unit run more efficiently.
Tampa Electric offers about 40 energy-saving programs to residential and commercial customers – more programs than any other investor-owned utility in Florida. Learn more about Tampa Electric's energy-saving programs online at tampaelectric.com/save.
Let the energy experts at Tampa Electric show you how to save energy and money with a free Home Energy Audit. Contact the company to schedule one of its trained energy analysts to inspect your home and identify areas where you can save valuable energy. Customers who are willing to make minor behavioral changes and follow the analyst's recommendations can save on energy costs. And there's more: with each audit, Tampa Electric will also make a free pack of eight energy-efficient fluorescent light bulbs available to you when you participate.
As part of the audit, the analysts will provide additional information about other energy-saving programs, including:
- Energy Planner – Save 8 percent to 10 percent on electricity costs when you participate in Tampa Electric's free Energy Planner program. Customers who are willing to make minor changes to when they use electricity can benefit by taking advantage of lower rates for electricity that are available 87 percent of the time.
- Ductwork - A trained professional will seal any leaks in your air conditioning ductwork to help you lower your overall energy consumption. Customers who take advantage of the Ductwork program can save 10 percent to 30 percent on heating and cooling costs.
Schedule a free Home Energy Audit today by calling Tampa Electric's Energy Management Services at 813.275.3909.
Tampa Electric has performed more than 416,500 free energy audits – and paid almost 426,000 rebates to customers who have participated in the company's energy-efficiency programs. That's about as much electricity as it takes to serve 780,000 homes for a year.
Tampa Electric Company is the principal subsidiary of TECO Energy Inc. (NYSE: TE), an energy-related holding company with regulated utility operations in Florida, including both Tampa Electric and Peoples Gas System . Tampa Electric serves nearly 676,000 customers in West Central Florida. TECO Energy's other major subsidiary, TECO Coal, owns and operates coal production facilities in Kentucky and Virginia.