Pending Florida Public Service Commission approval, Sun Select, a new shared solar program, will launch this summer. Sign up for updates so we can keep you posted on when you can officially sign up to participate.
Sun Select shared solar is a simple and meaningful way to support renewable energy, even when a rooftop system isn't an option for you. As a residential or small business customer, you purchase locally generated solar power to match 25%, 50% or even 100% of the electricity you use. As a larger business or commercial customer, you purchase solar in increments of 1,000 kWh – as few or as many as needed.
Sun Select participants lock in a solar rate that is being approved by the Florida Public Service Commission. While this rate is slightly higher, your fuel charge is waived for that portion of your electricity use.
Sun Select shared solar is ...
Because Tampa Electric builds, owns and maintains the panels, shared solar comes with no upfront costs, maintenance worries or long-term commitments on your end.
No matter how your roof is oriented, whether you rent or own, or if you're planning to move in a few years, shared solar is a fit for your home or business.
In a typical home, matching 50% of your electricity use with solar can offset about the same amount of carbon dioxide as not driving your car for an entire year!
Through Sun Select, you support clean, renewable energy generated in Tampa – and a cleaner future for everyone in our community.
How Shared Solar Works - The Big Picture
Tap into the Sun
Together, we can make an impact, for your household or business, our communities and the environment. Pending approval from the Public Service Commission, we expect Sun Select shared solar to launch this summer. Let us know you're interested – we'll let you know when it's ready!
Sun Select Shared Solar FAQs
A. You're ineligible to participate if you're a residential customer who has:
- Budget Billing
- Energy Planner
- Separately billed lighting accounts
- Solar panels on your home
You're ineligible to participate if you're a commercial/business customer who has:
- Standby generator service
- Time of use rate
- GSLM-3 standby rider
- Separately billed lighting accounts
- Solar panels on your business
- By 2021, nearly 7% of our energy generation will come from the sun – providing the community with clean, pollution-free energy, enough to power more than 100,000 homes with clean energy. Tampa Electric is providing more solar power per customer than any other utility in Florida and is one of the top three utilities in the southeast United States. Check out our large-scale solar projects that deliver clean energy to your home or business.
- Tampa Electric's reclaimed water project at Polk Power Station won an Edison Award, the electric industry's most prestigious honor. This innovative project has the capacity to reclaim 17 million gallons of water, keeping this water from reaching Tampa Bay and reducing Polk Power Station's use of groundwater for plant operations.
TECO (Tampa Electric and Peoples Gas) employees volunteer more than 30,000 hours each year in our community. Tampa Electric and Peoples Gas sponsor many community organizations. Their philanthropy extends to education and youth programs, growth and innovation, wellness and well-being and cultural vitality.
If you are hosting an event in the Tampa area and need green energy to power it, consider our Sun to Go program. This is another option if you already have solar panels of your own.
We are also known for our popular, and free, Manatee Viewing Center, butterfly gardens and nature habitat trails, which connect to the Florida Conservation and Technology Center and were built in partnership with the Florida Aquarium and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
Sign up for email updates – we'll let you know when it's ready!